- 7 yolks
- 2 tbsps anise powder
- 300 gr sugar
- 1 lt milk
- 3 tbsps shaved dried coconut
- ¼ lt canned coconut milk
Waiting to attend Carpigiani Gelato University in Bologna, Italy, where we’ll be at the end of September, we’re trying to discover the secrets of homemade gelato.
This recipe is simple and doesn’t require any special tools. If you have a gelato machine use this same recipe and the consistency of your treat will be even creamier.
Since our summer love is anything flavored with coconut, we substituted milk cream with coconut milk and matched it with anise. If you want your gelato to have a more miky flavor, stick to tradition and chose any flavor you want!
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar until creamy, add milk and stir.
- Pour the mixture into a pan, add the anise powder and the coconut flakes and simmer at a temperature of 80 °C (before it starts boiling). Above this temperature the yolks change flavor.
- Let the mixture cool down, add the coconut milk and place in freezer for 4-5 hours, stirring every half hour initially, then, as it thickens, more frequently.
- Once your gelato reaches the right consistency, serve in a cup and enjoy!