- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 cup butter
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon peel, grated
- 10.5 oz prune jam
- 20 walnuts
- FILLING DOUGH
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 tbs yeast
In the north of Italy, this pie, rich and delicious, is a favorite during the Fall, when walnuts become ripe and can be picked up fresh.
Since the weather is still a little cool, we prepared it as an appealing comfort food, perfect to be enjoyed after a light meal, accompanied by a glass of Moscato d’Asti or sweet Malvasia. The tart flavor of the prune jam (better if handmade) well balances the oily taste of the walnuts, creating a perfect mouthful!
– Prepare the shortbread by mixing the ingredients in a food processor.
– Put the dough on a floured board, roll it into an 11-inch circle with a rolling pin and transfer it to a baking sheet. Help yourself by rolling it around the pin.
– Pierce the base with a fork, spread it with jam and sprinkle it with 10 coarsely chopped walnuts.
– Prepare the mixture for the filling dough whisking the 4 egg yolks with the sugar. Add the remaining 10 chopped walnuts, vanilla and flour.
– Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl. When the mixture is firm, add it to the filling dough, stirring gently from below to above. Finally, after stirring everything together, add the yeast.
– Pour the mixture over the shortbread base, garnish with a few whole walnuts and place in oven at 340 degrees for about 50 minutes.